Nonprofit Organizations, Need Help Spotting Legal Issues?
Does your nonprofit organization need help spotting issues that require legal counsel? If so, you could be a great candidate for the General Counsel for Nonprofits Program offered through the Greater Richmond Bar Foundation’s Pro Bono Clearinghouse.
The Greater Richmond Bar Foundation has been connecting nonprofit organizations with pro bono legal resources in the greater Richmond area through the Pro Bono Clearinghouse since 2001. Our Nonprofit General Counsel Program involves matching one or more volunteer attorneys with a nonprofit organization for a period of one year (beginning January 2019). During that year, the volunteer(s) will assist the organization with identifying issues that may require legal assistance and with connecting the organization with relevant legal counsel to provide such assistance.
To be considered for participation in the 2019 client group of the Nonprofit General Counsel Program, please complete the preliminary interest form found here. If your organization is deemed eligible, you will be asked to submit a full application for consideration.
Questions? Contact our Director of Administration, Alison Roussy (firstname.lastname@example.org). Thank you!
Nonprofit Eligibility Criteria
It is required that each organization applying for the GRBF General Counsel Program:
- is a 501(c)3 charitable organization or the equivalent
- is located in or provides significant services in the Greater Richmond area (Richmond, Chesterfield, Hanover, Henrico, Goochland, Powhatan, Petersburg, Colonial Heights, Hopewell);
- is in good standing with the Virginia State Corporation Commission, if applicable; and
- has a current GiveRichmond profile
Priority will be given to applicants that:
- were incorporated in Virginia, if applicable;
- have an annual budget of at least $100,000 but less than $2 million;
- have been operating programs/providing services for at least two years;
- have a duly elected governing board that is in good standing;
- has operated with an Executive Director/CEO (or its equivalent) for at least one year; and
- assist low income individuals or low-income communities.
*Organizations that do not satisfy one or more of these criteria are encouraged to apply and explain why they should be considerate for participation in the program.