Call for Nominations: George H. Hettrick Leadership Award
In 2015, the Greater Richmond Bar Foundation established the George H. Hettrick Leadership Award*, to recognize outstanding efforts, innovative thinking and the development of pro bono programs designed to reach unmet legal needs in our community.
GRBF is currently accepting nominations for this Leadership Award. Please send nominations with a resume and letter of support to Ali Fannon at firstname.lastname@example.org by Noon on Wednesday, September 7, 2016.
Candidates for this award should meet the following criteria:
- Be a member in good standing of the Virginia State Bar with laudable professionalism and personal character;
- Demonstrated a commitment to provide legal services to underrepresented;
- Inspires and guides others to participate in the provision of pro bono services through leadership roles;
- Established effective partnerships in the legal services arena to sustain service delivery; and
- Contributed positively to the legal landscape of the central Virginia area through the development and implementation of innovative approaches to service delivery.
*The Greater Richmond Bar Foundation named this award in honor of the decades of pro bono service leadership demonstrated by George H. Hettrick, Esq. Some highlights of George’s career: Created a pro bono office for Hunton Williams in Church Hill, Charlottesville and Atlanta; created Pro Bono associate positions to assist Legal Aid; led Hunton & Williams to surpass the Pro Bono Challenge of 3% of professional hours of the entire firm as pro bono, including having years of 100% participation; and was a Founding member and Past President of the Greater Richmond Bar Foundation.
“Whenever we reach out to help someone else, to provide our talent, our skills, to another human being who needs it, and we do that without expectation of anything in return, we grow spiritually. And for that, we are better people.” -Hunton & Williams Pro Bono Partner George Hettrick when he accepted the American Lawyer Lifetime Achievement Award for Pro Bono Service
2015: Bob Barrett, Matt Kapinos & Heather Lockerman (Veterans Initiative)